Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Artist Paragraphs

Paul Pfeiffer is a video artist from Hawaii that uses "found video". Working with many videos related to sports such as basketball and boxing he removes athletes from video. He describes his work as meditative. "Pfeiffer makes a show of removing his subjectivity while investing himself intensely in his work: It can take him four months to produce a scant two minutes of video."


Pauls work seems to be near impossible to find online, I only managed to find a quick bit of a piece in a interview. Honestly while his work seems very self rewarding I hardly see much of anything interesting in these videos outside of the time it took to create them. The found video turns me off from the work. The videos are fun quirky things but I'm just having trouble pulling anything meaningfull out of them. Really even the quality isn't the greatest, his editing of the videos is painfully obvious. I assume this is not his intention.



Vito Acconci is a architect, landscape artist and installation artist from New York. Known for inviting the audience to participate in many of his installations Vito has been an active artist since the 60s.

I cut the first paragraph kind of short because of the 2nd paragraph. I can safely say that I do not enjoy or get anything at all from any of this man's video pieces. Confusing imagery shot in grainy black and white with ter rible audio and dull situations. I see no commentary at all in any of these pieces and see just weird to be weird. However researching Vito I have found that I enjoy a lot of his other work, just not the video. Watching his videos make me feel like an idiot, me being an art student attending a respected art institute. I strain to fi nd anything usefull at all. I wish I could say anything other then what the fuck?

Alex Bag is a video artist who I can hardly find anything about at all on the vast internets. Video artists seem to have a terrible time of showing there work online. Most have still images that really dont help since the piece is a fucking video.

I'll finish this when I happen to be in New York and catch one of Alex's exhibits.

No comments: